Thursday, November 17, 2011

Spock's Beard - The Kindness of Strangers




"Spock's Beard rules contemporary prog rock."


I must admit I am a complete Spock's Beard sycophant. I love everything they have done. The Kindness of Strangers was the first album I bought by the Beard, and it honestly changed my life. I wondered, "Can music really be so perfect?" I love the way this band brings together Beatles-like pop sensibilities with epic compositions and stunning musicianship.
While some criticize Spock's Beard for a supposed lack of originality, being derivative of classic prog, I think this criticism fails in an important regard. The reality is that there is nothing like them. Obviously, they are strongly influenced by the progressive greats of the past, but they achieve a remarkably effective synthesis of 70s prog rock and modern sensibilities. The result is a sound that is appealingly familiar and excitingly fresh all at once.

This being my first Beard album, the opening track, "The Good Don't Last", was the first Beard song I'd ever heard. I was shocked. The musicianship is quirky and melodic and classic, but what really got to me was how catchy the song was. Neal Morse, the main songwriter, has unmatched ears for melody. I was singing along before the song had ended. No doubt the most hook-laden 10-minute song ever. (Or so I say!)

There's other highlights too. "June" is a mellow acoustic song with beautiful vocals; "Harms Way" is dynamic, somewhat jazzy, and charged with some emotional parts; "Flow" is epic, stately, intensely performed, and catchy. It's all outstanding, really. Perfect, even.

No comments:

Post a Comment