Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Spock's Beard - Day for Night




"Basically the same Beard."

I think it is interesting that people say Spock's Beard tried to go more commercial with this album. Not sure what evidence enables people to ascribe that intent to the band. Now, the Beard has always involved a very identifiable pop element to their music -- big choruses, catchy hooks. I don't find the music any simpler than on previous records, or any more "commercial" than previous albums, but it's true the songs are generally shorter (lengthy tracks are commonly associated with prog, ya know).

Still, there is the amazing "The Healing Colors of Sound" epic suite that's over 20-minutes long. It features the Beard's familiar epic style...songs within a song, wrapped together by recurring themes. The individual parts of this suite are very strong, be it the rockin' hooks of "Mommy Comes Back", the sad balladry "Lay It Down", or the inspiring "Healing Colors of Sound" section, which never fails to put a smile on my face. Spock's Beard's music makes me feel good about life.
Maybe some people perceive this album as "poppier" because has an ordinary pop ballad, "Can't Get It Wrong" and a fairly simple upbeat cut "Skin". But the rest doesn't seem like much of a digression from the band's style. "Crack the Big Sky" is big song rife with ear-catching instrumental melodies, a huge singable chorus, and little tempo changes to keep you on your toes. (Hand claps too!) "The Distance to the Sun" is a beautiful ballad that proves Neal Morse's unmatched talent of tugging at your emotions. "Gibberish" is the requisite "zany track," with funky vocal counterpoints a la Gentle Giant and a guitar riff that's best described as crazy! The title track that kicks off the album is good fun too, including the omnipresent Beardian (new word) hooks and savory, monster Rickenbacker bass lines. I like this whole album!

Like all the Beard's work, Day for Night is fun, addictive progressive music that I never grow tired of. My only problem is that they divided up the "Healing Colors of Sound" suite into eight separate tracks. Eck. I hate that (I like to play lots of my albums on "shuffle" or "random"). But if that's my only complaint, I think Spock's Beard is doing okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment