Monday, January 30, 2012

MUSIC REVIEW: Rush - Presto



"Up there with the best the band has to offer."

As the self-designated music snob and uncompromising progressive rock fan, you might have expected me to hate Rush's mega-synthesizer laden phase that began with Signals and ended with Hold Your Fire. Well, not quite. I love all those albums, and Hold Your Fire especially sits comfortably with Rush's other greats. The 80s was a time when Rush drifted farther away from their progressive roots, and began writing more melodic, groovier songs. Although Presto is very different from the four preceding records, I believe it captures that melodic quality best. It goes a bit more towards the "rock" than the "synth-fest". It is one of my favorite Rush albums.

Lifeson and Lee, who write the music, clearly have an incredible ear for melody. This album is just bursting with hooks...every song features an infectious chorus, an ear-catching guitar lick, or a tuneful arrangement...though, often, it's all of the above. Here, they've toned down on the use of synthesizers, although they are still present, but now they add a subtle texture to the music. Instead of driving the song, they supplement it, like on "Superconductor" where the keyboard helps elevate the song's intensity as they build under the song's catchy refrain. Lifeson's guitar is back in the forefront on many most, although his riffs seem more designed for tight, hooky rhythms and not technical flash or big crunch. Here, it's all about fantastic melodies. There are also a lot of simple piano chords that set a nice melodic foundation on songs like "Available Light." And lyrically, Peart would be hard-pressed to match the quality here. "The Pass" is some of his most touching writing. Also, his call for environmental awareness on "Red Tide" isn't cheesy like it is with other lyricists who tackle the issue. The song rocks too. I've also noticed "Chain Lightning" doesn't get a lot of praise, but I think it's a great song with an unforgettable melody.

I could discuss every song individually, but I don't see the need. Each track is a perfectly crafted song, concise, musically arresting, with superb vocal melodies with an emotional redolence that sometimes evades Rush's music. I must say one thing though. I resent Peart for telling me "The mirror always lies" (from "War Paint") when basically every other "mirror" song I've heard says the mirror _never_ lies. This makes me screw up the line when I try and sing along. Shucks... But ah well. It's a stupid, dumb complaint, and it doesn't change the fact that this is one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment