Monday, January 16, 2012

MUSIC REVIEW: Ozric Tentacles - Waterfall Cities



"The band from another dimension!"

When I listen to the Ozrics, I think that these guys are really aliens masquerading as humans. These aliens have a liking for many different styles of earthling music, and as such they blend the psychedelic space rock with many eastern influences, a mutated form of New Age, and some of the "watery" electronic textures of techno. Their music is out of this world, so unlike anything else that it's difficult to compare. Their music mystifies and excites like nothing else.

This is only my second Ozric Tentacles CD, as I am new to their music. I also own their newest, The Hidden Step, which I like better than this one. These songs are little more cosmic but a little less colorful. My favorite track is the hyperkinetic "Waterfall City." It's 11 minutes in length, driven by crystalline synth lines and ballistic guitars that swim atop a hammering layer of throbbing bass and electrifying drums. One thing I noticed about this disc is that the drumming and bass lines seem a little more repetitive. That's unfortunate, since it detracts some the dynamics of the songs. Still, this is an excellent release well worth owning.

No comments:

Post a Comment