Monday, January 16, 2012

MUSIC REVIEW: Ozric Tentacles - Tantric Obstacles / Erpsongs



"SUPERB!"

I can honestly say I love Ozric Tentacles' music like Oprah loves Big Mac combos -- I get powerful cravings, and then I want to eat the music! But for the life of me I can't describe it accurately. I usually think of it as an amalgam of progressive rock, electronic (less of that here, though), world music, new age, and other touches that defy classification. So I can't pigeonhole it, but I can say it's great music.

Erpsongs and Tantric Obstacles were the band's first releases, both on cassette back in the 80s. Here, you get both on CD for about 2 hours of definitive Ozric tunes. That's means it's a TWO-FER, which is awesome by default. But it's especially awesome when you are dealing with an Ozric two-fer. At this early time in their careers the band had much shorter songs, generally assembled around just a few musical ideas as opposed to the longer, more diverse works they would later write. As always, it keeps you guessing...they are always adding cool Eastern progressions, quirky synths, exotic percussion, and other things that make for eclectic yet undeniably cohesive music.

No comments:

Post a Comment