Monday, December 5, 2011

MUSIC REVIEW: Vanden Plas - Far Off Grace




"Fine music, unfortunate singer."

Vanden Plas lingers in the ether realm between progressive metal and power metal, with tendency to lean more to the former, although some of the arrangements favor the forthright approach of the latter. Their musicianship shines and they incorporate some interesting ideas into their music. Being the fastidious listener I am, I found several deleterious factors beyond the prima facie virtues. My biggest problem with the album is the vocalist (and I'm really picky about that). He's a decent singer I guess. I just can't stretch myself to say he fits Vanden Plas' heavy, aggressive musical direction. His range is terribly thin, leaving him with a high, impotent sound. So, while he sings well, he lacks a fierceness that would have fit the music, or a soaring quality found in singers like James LaBrie and Geoff Tate.

The music, however, shines. Mostly. Well, sometimes. It features some beautiful piano quotes and some cool touches (like the Eastern influence of "Fields of Hope") among the fiery, relentlessly crunchy riffs. Even so, much of the music is disappointingly straightforward, almost mechanical in the way the band executes riff after riff with the requisite synthed accompaniment (which rarely adds anything to the song). Nearly every song is 5-6 minutes, which hardly keeps the album fresh from track to track...especially with music like this. Combined with the kind of muddy guitar tone, the things quickly grow tiresome. The corny ballad "I Don't Miss You" is totally lame.

Far Off Grace is might be worth checking out if you're into this kind of music (I know I am), but that recommendation doesn't change my admonition. Wimpy vocals and general tedium undermine the album's quality. Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment